Author Topic: Richard Swift  (Read 18321 times)

Offline bigideas

• Dethroned King
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Swift
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
Thanks, look cool, but I think they've taken the tracks down. :(
The original tumblr is still there from 2010 and they just ran the link/story above last fall.
Is the tumblr still up but with dead links? I assume you tried this.

Offline TheMakeoutMelody

• The Third Marie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:53 PM »
Swift is here to save the world!

his solo records are phenomenal...closest thing we have to a randy newman/harry nilsson.

OLD, and the following tours were so goddam good. oh, and the previous tour for LEAVE HERE A STRANGER were so groovy.

but i think his best work might be the last 3 records he's recorded w/ Damien Jurado. my god...so gorgeous.

p.s. frank lenz is also a god.

p.p.s. i can't wait to hear wayne everette's long over due 2nd solo LP... put that mofo out wayne-o!!!!!!!!
"rock n' roll is war!"

Offline bigideas

• Dethroned King
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2014, 02:54:58 PM »
He's touring with The Black Keys now, so he was on SNL for the 2nd time.
I guess Danger Mouse is the link between the two.

Offline bigideas

• Dethroned King
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »
Swift is part of The Arcs with Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys and they just put out an album.
I guess the easiest way to describe the sound would be something like a Tarantino movie soundtrack. It's really not too different from things that Danger Mouse has done, but I have always felt there were little things about his production and sound choices that went too far in the cheesy direction or digital sounding direction. He is not involved with this at all, so everything "sounds analog" - whatever that means.

I'm digging it so far other than the choice to have a woman moaning in pleasure in the background throughout most of one track. Things like this or the whimpering dog in a Travis song (Paperclip), might have sounded cool that day in the studio, but I think very few people want to hear that type of thing over and over if they like an album.

Swift is listed as playing drums on most of the tracks. I'm really not sure how involved he is beyond that, whether he is writing some, etc.

The artwork looks kinda similar to stuff on his 7"s, but they are credited to El Olms. I'm not sure if it is another alterego or not. I have never really seen him do color artwork or animation, so I am leaning towards it being an actual other person.

Offline between2worlds

• Friend Who Plays Guitar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2015, 04:00:29 AM »
I'm digging it so far other than the choice to have a woman moaning in pleasure in the background throughout most of one track. Things like this or the whimpering dog in a Travis song (Paperclip), might have sounded cool that day in the studio, but I think very few people want to hear that type of thing over and over if they like an album.

OMG YES!!!! that damn dog on Paperclips is so annoying.  I always skip this song on the album The rest of the album is solid. 

Offline unhappybirthday

• Dethroned King
    • View Profile
    • Vinyl
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »

The artwork looks kinda similar to stuff on his 7"s, but they are credited to El Olms. I'm not sure if it is another alterego or not. I have never really seen him do color artwork or animation, so I am leaning towards it being an actual other person.

He did this one in color: http://www.discogs.com/David-Bazan-Volume-1-Number-5-November-2014-/release/6484696
"I feel like Evangelical Christianity limits the ability to interact with people in a meaningful way." - David Bazan

Offline bigideas

• Dethroned King
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
The Shins released a new album on 3/10.
They played on TV and Swift was not there.
I wonder if he is no longer with the band, or just doing something else?
Maybe the Black Keys are about to start an album cycle and he is busy with that?
He is credited as playing on 3 tracks.
One track is older and was on the Zach Braff/Wish I Was Here soundtrack. Swift produced and recorded the song at National Freedom. I just bought a used copy of the soundtrack because of the (up till now) exclusive Shins track, a Chris Martin penned/Cat Power performed song and an exclusive Bon Iver song. Not sure what else is exclusive.

Other People's Songs was officially released at the end of last year. I burned a CD back when it was free, so I haven't picked it up.

Offline TheMakeoutMelody

• The Third Marie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2017, 10:15:11 AM »
Swift is no longer a member of the Shins. He's still on good terms. Mainly he's focusing on producing (including the new Bazan album!)...but rumor has it he's working on another solo album!!! It's about time!!!
"rock n' roll is war!"

Offline bigideas

• Dethroned King
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »
Swift is no longer a member of the Shins. He's still on good terms. Mainly he's focusing on producing (including the new Bazan album!)...but rumor has it he's working on another solo album!!! It's about time!!!

Good! I just saw that Dan Auerbach announced a solo album. I wonder if Swift will tour with him for that.